to the west of the excavation showing building foundations. Note the semi-circular
scar in the cobbled surface marking the bomb crater from September 1940.
The open area excavation of the site has enabled archaeologists to reconstruct the changing organisation and buildings on the site. From pits containing waterlogged leather, horn, bone and animal hair, it went on to the establishment of a sandstone farmhouse and associated barns in the 17th century through to the erection of grain silos in the late 20th century. During the course of the excavation an exceptional collection of ceramics was recovered: dating from the 13th century to the late 19th.
The post-medieval pottery was an especially rich find which will provide a benchmark for future work in the area. An interim report has been produced and additional specialist reports have been commissioned to examine the pottery, clay tobacco pipe, horn, bone, and environmental material. This will all be incorporated into a full excavation report. The project demonstrated the potential for excavation of smaller yeoman farmsteads, which were key components of the late and post-medieval rural landscape in the region.
© National Museums Liverpool 2004